End of Life and Palliative Care Training for Support Workers : Face-to-Face Training and Assessment
There are many end-of-life and palliative care options for people living with a disability and support workers have a key role to play in supporting a client with a life limiting illness who wishes to die at home.
This short course will provide support workers with knowledge and practical skills to provide support to a client with a life-limiting illness.
Some of the topics include:
- The role of the support worker in supporting a customer with a life-limiting illness
- The dying process
- End of life planning
- Considerations of other resident in a group home setting where a client is dying
- The needs of a conscious and unconscious customer who is dying
- Nutrition and fluid management
- Elimination requirements
- Pressure injury prevention
- Infection control considerations
- Oral care
- Identifying and managing pain or distress
- Immediate actions required upon the death of the client