22575VIC Course in basic oxygen administration for first aid
Course in Basic Oxygen Administration
Emergency oxygen in resuscitation can be extremely beneficial and will increase the casualty's chances of survival. Participants must be able to demonstrate current competence in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation to undertake this unit.
The unit excludes the use of bag-valve-mask, manually triggered resuscitators and closed-circuit oxygen units.
- Recognise and respond to an emergency situation
- Apply first aid procedures and administer oxygen
- Communicate details of the incident
- Clean and check equipment after use
- Evaluate response to the incident requiring oxygen
This unit describes the outcomes required to recognise and respond to situations that require application of basic oxygen therapy and/or oxygen resuscitation as appropriate until the arrival of medical assistance.
Some topics include:
- Respond to signs of an unconscious casualty
- Legal and cultural responsibilities
- Management of unresponsive casualty
- Airway management
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Complications with resuscitation
- Infection control
- Operate an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Assembly and disassembly of an emergency oxygen
- Non-rebreather mask use for breathing patient
- Demand inhalator valve use for breathing patient
- Pocket mask use with oxygen for a non-breathing patient