Perform Venepuncture and Routine Blood Collection
Perform Venepuncture and Pathology Collection
Participants will practice venepuncture using vacutainer, butterfly needle and needle and syringe methods of blood collection on a 'training' arm.
Please note both the "Perform Venepuncture and Routine Blood Collection" and "Perform Venipuncture and Routine Blood Collection" programs advertised on our website are identical programs. There are two courses listed only to acknowledge the alternative spelling.
- Confirm pre-test criteria for required collection
- Prepare equipment for venous blood collection procedure
- Apply pre and post draw infection control procedures
- Demonstrate on a training arm three venepuncture techniques - vacutainer, butterfly and needle and syringe
- Complete the draw process and documentation requirements post blood collection
- Identify troubleshooting techniques for an incomplete collection
There can be no better trainer than one who has "lived" the experience. As a trusted health professional, they will teach the 'why' of your course and are committed to your learning.
Some of the topics include:
- Vascular system anatomy and physiology
- Equipment used for venepuncture - vacutainer, butterfly and needle and syringe
- Identifying and selection of venepuncture site
- Preparation for venepuncture
- Venepuncture procedure
- Potential complications
- Collection tubes and the correct order of blood draw
- Relevant first aid management
- Infection control