HLTAID013 Provide First Aid in a remote or isolated site (previously HLTAID005)
HLTAID013 Provide first aid in a remote or isolated site
The unit applies to workers, teachers, outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers or bushwalkers who may be required to prepare for and provide a first aid response in locations beyond the reach of timely medical assistance.
The emphasis of this highly practical course is on managing a casualty in a remote environment for an extended period of time. The course is conducted away from a classroom environment by our highly skilled paramedic trainers. This remote area first aid course lends itself to experiential practical scenarios and role play.
- Prepare equipment for first aid response in remote or isolated site
- Assess the situation
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures
- Communicate details of the incident.
- Coordinate evacuation and first aid activities until assistance arrives
- Review the incident
- 2 days face-to-face training and assessment with online e-Learning
- 3 days face-to-face training and assessment
Some topics for the Remote / Wilderness first aid course are:
- Contingency planning, equipment, improvisation
- Risk Assessment
- Access and egress
- Communication strategies and equipment
- Long term first aid management of injuries and illnesses
- Safety in extreme climates
- Emergency shelter
- Positioning and moving a casualty, immobilisation techniques
- Manual handling
- Pain management
- Evacuation methods including aero-medical evacuation
People over the age of 14 years are eligible to attend. Students attending the course are required to demonstrate their physical ability to perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on an adult manikin placed on the floor. This is a requirement of the unit and not of Premium Health. If you are unsure of your ability to demonstrate this requirement please contact us on 1300 721 292.