HLTAID005 Provide first aid in remote situations
Provide first aid in remote situations
The unit applies to workers, teachers, outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers or bushwalkers who may be required to prepare for and provide a first aid response in locations beyond the reach of timely medical assistance.
The emphasis of this highly practical course is on managing a casualty in a remote environment for an extended period of time. The course is conducted away from a classroom environment by our highly skilled paramedic trainers. This remote area first aid course lends itself to experiential practical scenarios and role play.
An online component of approximately 2+ hours (depending on previous first aid knowledge) is required to be completed before commencement of the course.
- Respond to a remote emergency situation
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures
- Manage the incident
Some topics for the Remote / Wilderness first aid course are:
- Contingency planning, equipment, improvisation
- Risk Assessment
- Access and egress
- Communication strategies and equipment
- Long term first aid management of injuries and illnesses
- Safety in extreme climates
- Emergency shelter
- Positioning and moving a casualty, immobilisation techniques
- Manual handling
- Pain management
- Evacuation methods including aero-medical evacuation
People over the age of 14 years are eligible to attend. Students attending the course are required to demonstrate their physical ability to perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on an adult manikin placed on the floor. This is a requirement of the unit and not of Premium Health. If you are unsure of your ability to demonstrate this requirement please contact us on 1300 721 292.